This is the third Gregorian chant album by the Norbertine Fathers of St. Michael’s Abbey in California. This is not an actual Mass, but the traditional Requiem music according to the ancient Norbertine Rite, a form of the liturgy similar to the ubiquitous Roman Rite but the exclusive patrimony of the Norbertine Fathers.
The old cliché of a badly written novel beginning with the words: “It was a dark and stormy night…” could well apply to the recording of this album, as the date that worked for all the singers to record was the day of one of the longest and most violent tempests of 2010. The abbey’s cantor, Fr. Chrysostom Baer, decided that, far from detracting from the quality of the recording, the howling winds actually added to the haunting tones of chant. This is the reason for the atmospheric effects heard in the background of many of the recorded tracks.
01. Rain and Bells
02. Introit: Requiem
03. Kyrie Eleison
04. Gradual: Requiem
05. Gradual: Si Ambulem
06. Prose: Dies Irae
07. Tract: De Profundis
08. Offertory: Domine Jesu Christe
11. Agnus Dei
12. Communion Antiphon: Lux Aeterna; Requiescant
13. Responsory for the Commendation of the Soul: Subvenite
14. Antiphon for the Procession of the Body: Suscipiat vos Christus
15. Antiphon for the Procession of the Body: Chorus Angelorum